The Winter of 2010 is underway and vacationers across the country are itching to hit the ski slopes with all this talk of snow. If the upcoming Vancouver Winter Olympics isn’t getting you excited for some skiing action, then the great deals and packages at ski resorts across the country should jump start your planning for ski-a-palooza 2010.
I’d like to take you on a cross country tour to some of the best ski destinations for skiers of all levels and breeds, including the slopes with the freshest powder to the highest verticals to the coziest hot tubs. So without further ado, I present our awards for 2010’s Top Ski Destinations:
1. Freshest Powder - Alta, Utah - Alta is one of the country’s only ski resorts with a seemingly never ending supply of fresh powder. Known for its unspoiled wilderness and pure powder skiing, Alta provides both beginners and intermediate level skiers the experience of a lifetime.
2. Best Vertical - Cannon, New Hampshire - Located in New Hampshire’s Pristine White Mountains, Cannon has the most vertical of any ski mountain on the east coast, providing for some great black diamond trails. Olympic Medalist Bode Miller grew up skiing Cannon, and hopefully can get some gold in Vancouver!
3. Best Instruction - Breckenridge, Colorado - Breckenridge sits on the Rocky Mountains and offers some of the best views and slopes the country has to offer (which is why it’s been one of the most popular ski resorts for several years running). Although the slopes are often full with out-of-town vacationers, Breckenridge offers some of the best instruction for first time skiers and beginners. The mountain also boasts the highest chair lift in North America.
4. Best Ski Town - Jackson Hole, Wyoming - For those who want to truly experience a ’ski town,’ Jackson Hole is a must see. The town sits in the valley of the Grand Teton Mountain Range, which provides some of the most challenging terrain and ‘out-of-bounds’ free ski areas to be explored by experts. The small town itself is lined with quaint art galleries, mom-and-pop shops, and delicious restaurants that make it an irresistible ski town.
5. Coziest Hot Tubs - Vail, Colorado - Vail is the second largest ski mountain in the US, and has some of the best lodging options for sitting back and relaxing in a hot tub. After a day out on the slopes, nothing is better for a set of tired legs than the soothing, bubbling waters of a hot tub. Find yourself a nice glass of red wine and some good company, and you’ll never want to leave Vail again.
6. Best Ski and Stay Deal - Loon Mountain, New Hampshire - InnSeason Resort and Vacation-Offer are currently offering an incredible Loon Ski and Stay Vacation Package at the highly rated Loon Mountain in Lincoln, New Hampshire. During the winter, Loon becomes a winter wonderland, providing thrilling slopes and scenic views for skiers of all levels. This is the perfect place for a romantic weekend getaway or a family ski trip on the cheap: for only $239 you can book a 3 night stay which includes 2 free adult lift tickets to Loon.
7. Most Peaceful - Big Mountain, Montana - For those solace seekers that are looking for an unspoiled and unadulterated skiing experience, Big Mountain is the place where you can find your peace of mind. Located in the wilderness west of Glacier National Park, Big Mountain won’t be the first stop for bus loads of international tourists, which often equates to getting the whole slope to yourself. Just you and the mountain.